Our team is back in action with another round of user testing sessions! With the help of Tyler, we were able to triple the amount of participants we had in our last user test session! This participant group is comprised on mostly game players. This time around we added another laptop to test on, and we had additional facilitators and observers on deck. These changes were significant in becoming more time efficient. This test is also the first one we have done with our high-fidelity prototype. Although the game currently lacks some visual elements, it is a step up from the clickthrough prototype we had previously been testing with.
The key evaluation points we tested on were: navigation, game play observation, and intuitive interaction points. Although we were focusing mostly on mechanics and game play, we got great feedback on narration and visual design.
There were a few things we could improve on for upcoming user testing sessions. The room we were in was quite busy. With a large group of waiting participants, and other groups working on their projects, it quickly became a hectic scene. With no separation from other participants, we found that they began helping each other. Although we encourage teamwork, this did skew the score results. We wanted to test what participants would do, not what others told them to. In order to resolve this issue, we plan on having a separate room or a divider so participants can be tested individually and without outside influence. Scheduled user testing sessions could also help with the overwhelming number of participants.